Sunday, March 2, 2008

breathe in peace

The legislative session is drawing to a close. Here in Utah, the midwives have been attacked again. I just want peace and the right to care for mamas and their families in the place and way of their choosing. When the AMA declares war (We'll squash you like bugs!") it's not clear what I should do. This battle leaves us weary and divided. As we try to stand back up, we realize the importance of unity in our small homebirth community. We'll never change the opinion of the AMA and that's not our intent. Difference is what makes this world keep on turning. I guess I just wish for tolerance and for everyone to be respectful. Michael Franti's words soothe me. On war - "One man got a jet fighter, one man got a song, nobody right, nobody wrong" This clip is not the best quality. I wish I could invite you all over to see the DVD I just got. In the meantime, hope this little piece of wisdom will bring some peace and healing.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I just went on line and read about the proposed SB93 that would limit the scope of practice for midwives. I am saddened more and more that the AMA and like organizations feel it their right to decide certain things for others. Like you believe, 'nobody right, nobody wrong' I can see both sides, however, as a mother who believes strongly in MY rights, I would absolutely be appalled if the law said I could not birth the way I chose legally. Is this 'freedom of choice' not what the grand old U.S. of A. was founded upon?

Lovely Lindsay said...

yes, whatever happened to freedom of choice?
do you know of anything we can do?? it seems like the "little guy" always has to have on boxing gloves.
keep on keepin' on.

mimi said...

"There's colors on the street, red, white and blue.
People shuffling their feet, people sleeping in their shoes.
But there's a warning sign on the road ahead.
There's a lot of people saying we'd be better off dead.
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them, so I try to forget it, any way I can.
Keep on rockin' in the free world, keep on rockin' in the free world." -our uncle neil

i like your open-mind attitude...because otherwise, you're no better than them.
love ya, catbangs