Thursday, November 1, 2012

Dia de los Muertos 2012

Does 2 years in a row make a tradition? I think so.  I am in the Yucatan on Day of the Dead just like last year. I just created a fitting altar for Miss Bri and as I sat down to write, Bon Iver randomly came on. Very cool. Last year the missing was so raw. I tried hard, really hard to channel the emotion into something good. I know Briana would hurt so badly if all that was left of her here was grief. Sometimes I feel her in the seat beside me as I drive to births in Li'l Red. Sometimes I see her perched in the room at a long labor. But only sometimes now. She is helping me create my new song, one good verse at a time. I am not rushing it because I like when she is close. During the space between these Days of Dead, The Briana Project was created. I have attended the births of Norah, Brinlee and Elliott. As Ian said on Terrible Day: "Cathy, she will still be with you. She will just be on the other side guiding the babies down to your hands." He was right. I love you Briana.  Here is your altar. I have placed my Africa bag on it.  You left soon after my first trip and were the reason for my last trip. There is a beautiful white seashell. It reminds me of our 3 week road trip that included Thousand steps beach and Big Sur. I bought you some Tres Leche cake. You Blackie girls introduced it to me. I had to have some Pan for you tonight. I waited in a Mexican bakery today, waited and waited until the baker was satisfied.  He wrapped it still warm for you. The last thing is the book I just finished, La Partera. It feels like we're gonna serve Latin women next, Bri. On American turf and underground.  We had many discussions about it.  Vanessa and Becki are working the Guatemala connections.  If that's where we need to go, help us out. Come on over to mi Casa Houston, girl.  Let's make some Mexican hot chocolate and break bread.

http://mail.aol.com/37105-112/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=31282840&folder=OldMail&partId=1

No comments: